Observing 73rd Indian Independence Day
Independence Day is annually celebrated on 15 August, as a national holiday in India commemorating the nation’s independence from the United Kingdom on 15 August 1947, the day when the provisions of the Indian Independence Act 1947, as passed by the United Kingdom Parliament, which transferred legislative sovereignty to the Indian Constituent Assembly came into effect. There are many reasons why India is called Great, few of them are:
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
1. India built Asia’s first nuclear reactor Apsara on August 4 1956. India currently has 21 nuclear reactors in operation in 7 nuclear power plants.
2. Indian Space Research Organization, successfully launched Mars Orbiter Mission to probe Mars. India became the fourth country to reach Mars orbit, after the Russia, United States, and the European Space Agency. It is the first nation in the world to accomplish it in its first attempt.
3. India successfully launched Chandrayaan in order to explore the surface of moon. The vehicle inserted into lunar orbit in its first attempt. On the greatest achievements of Chadrayaan was the discovery of the presence of water.
4. India designed first space satellite, Aryabhata after an Indian astronomer, in 1975.
5. India is lowest cost producer of nuclear energy.
6. India has one of the largest supplies of thorium in the world.
7. India is among the first country to develop satellite for domestic communication.
8. The Indian National Satellite System or INSAT is a series of satellites used of the telecommunications, broadcasting, meteorology, and search and rescue operations.
9. India is among the five nations to send unmanned mission to moon.
10. India developed world’s lowest cost supercomputer.
11. In 2015, eleven Indian machines found a place in the latest list of the world’s 500 most powerful supercomputers, including two in the top 100.
12. India has won a total of 26 Olympic medals. India won its first gold medal in men’s field hockey in the 1928 Olympic Games. Abhinav Bindra became the first Indian to win an individual gold medal in shooting at the Olympic Games.
13. India’s Sachin Tendulkar is the highest run batsman in Test cricket and also scored highest number of Test and ODI centuries.
14. India won cricket world cup twice.
15. India’s Mahendra Singh Dhoni is ranked 23rd in the list of world’s highest paid athletes 2015.
16. India is one of the four countries that refused to sign Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty on matter of principle.
17. India successfully launched nuclear submarine called INS Arihant.
18. India is the only country to launch nuclear submarine after five permanent members of the UN Security Council.
19. India has the third largest army in the world with more than 1.3 million army personnel.
20. The Mid-Day meal scheme of Government of India is the world’s largest scheme for kids serving 120,000,000 children in over 1,265,000 schools across the country.
21. India has 5600 different newspapers and 3500 different magazines with approximately 120 million readers every day.
22. India produces lowest cost producer of steel, aluminum, cement and fertilizer.
23. India has largest single location copper smelter.
24. India produces lowest cost delivery of wireless telephony.
25. India is currently the world’s second-largest telecommunications market.
26. Indian companies with Hero MotoCorp are the world’s largest manufacturer of two wheelers.
27. India has the largest single location oil refinery capacity nearly 70m tons in the world.
28. India is the second-largest consumer of gold.
29. 90 % of all diamonds polished and processed in India.
30. India’s Bombay Stock Exchange is world’s 11th largest stock exchange.
31. With 1, 55,618 post offices and over 5, 66,000 employees, India has the largest postal network in the world.
32. India has largest number of bank account holders.
33. India’s Mukesh Ambani holds 36th position in world’s richest people list.
34. India’s Shah Rukh Khan is ranked 86th in the list of world’s highest paid celebrities.
35. India’s Amitabh Bachchan got 71st position in 2015 in the list of world’s highest paid celebrities.
36. India has largest intra-country remittances.
38. The Indira Gandhi International (IGI) Airport in Delhi won the Best Airport award from the Airports Council International within 25–40 million annual passengers category in 2015.
39. Railway network in India was nationalized in 1951 and Indian Railways became one of the largest railway networks comprising 115,000 km (71,000 mi) of track over a route of 67,312 km (41,826 mi) and 7,112 stations.
40. Indian Railways carries more than 23 million passengers daily from one destination to another.
41. The Chatrapati Shivaji Terminus in Mumbai and the Mountain Railways of India is declared as World Heritage Site by the UNESCO.
42. India gave every adult Universal Adult Franchise from its first day of independence.
43. As many as 29 languages are spoken in India, by more than one million people each.
44. More than 1,650 dialects are spoken in India.
45. India witnessed 16 changes of power (Lok Sabha) at the Centre. It shows the strength of democratic values of the people of this country.
46. India has largest number of elected persons in the world, due to Panchayati Raj system across the country.
47. India has fundamental right to information.
48. India hosts Kumbh Mela, world’s largest religious congregation with 30 million pilgrims.
49. India has one of the highest numbers of female politicians.
50. India is among the first countries to have woman (Indira Gandhi) head of state
51. Women have held high offices in India including that of the President, Prime Minister, Speaker of the Lok Sabha and Leader of the Opposition. One of the five major states has women chief ministers.
52. Majority of candidates in these Panchayats are women. Currently 100 per cent of elected members in Kodassery Panchayat in Kerala are Women.
53. India’s Mary Kom is a five-time World Amateur Boxing champion, and the only woman boxer to have won a medal in each one of the six world championships.
54. India’s Sania Mirza is currently ranked No. 1 in the women’s doubles rankings.
55. India is the world’s largest milk producer, with 18 percent of global production.
56. India is the largest producer, consumer and importer of pulses.
57. India is the second largest producer of sugar cane in the world.
58. India is the largest producer of cotton with production of 6.51 million tons of the fiber.
59. India is the second largest producer of rice and wheat.
60. India is the largest producer of ginger, safflower and okra.
61. India is the largest producer of banana, mango, papaya, lemon, jackfruit, guava and pomegranate.
62. India is the largest producer of wood fuel.
ACHIEVEMENTS OF INDIA
63. India has world’s highest motor able pass (Khardung La at 5600m).
64. India is the largest producer of films in the world and second oldest film industry in the world.
65. India’s Aryabhata invented the number ZERO.
66. A vast majority of the historian believes that Chess was invented in India.
67. India born Satya Nadella is the current CEO of Microsoft.
68. India’s Sundar Pichai is the CEO of Google.
69. India is a cradle of many religions of the world, and has set up best example of unity in diversity
70. India has never initiated war on any country.
- Abrogated Article 370 thus ending 70 years old conflict with peace
- Power to all! 100 per cent electrification achieved in 25 states
- India’s giant leap towards outer space with Chandrayaan 2